When You Need Approval - The purpose of Zoning and Planning is to provide for a vibrant and cohesive community.

We are currently working on rewriting our zoning ordinances. This means that permitted uses may change. Additionally, McKees Rocks and Neville Island are working on a joint Zoning Code. This means there may be some types of businesses that are permitted in McKees Rocks only or Neville Island only. We expect the new code to be in force by next year, so it is very important to check with the Borough before starting any new business in McKees Rocks.

Additionally, sometimes business want to do things that require the approval of the Planning Commission, the Borough Council or the Zoning Hearing Officer. You can download the appropriate forms for submission to the Borough.

If the way you want to use your property is not permitted in the current zoning code, you will need to seek a variance from the Zoning Hearing Officer. If he rules against you, you may appeal his decision to the full Zoning Board. Examples of this would be seeking to establish a business in a residential neighborhood or turning a commercial building into a residence.

If you are building a new building for your business (assuming you are located in an area where your type of business is permitted, or you have received a variance) you will need to have the plans approved by the Planning Commission and the Borough Council. 

Designed & Powered by On Fire Media |